Before nationalists and patriots, before colonizers and invaders, before emperors and kings, India was woven together by pilgrim paths. Seekers and sages travelled north and south, east and west, across mountains and along rivers, ignoring artificial boundaries, seeking and finding gods. Renowned mythologist Devdutt Pattanaik takes us on an insightful journey to thirty-two holy sites where ancient and modern deities unravel the complex and layered history, geography, and imagination of the land once known as ‘land of the Indian blackberry’ (Jambudvipa), ‘land of rivers’ (Sindhusthala in Sanskrit, or Hindustan in Persian), ‘expanse of King Bharata’ (Bharatvarsha, or Bharatkhanda), and even ‘abode of joy’ (Sukhavati to the Chinese).
KEY SELLING POINTS
- This is the latest offering by Devdutt Pattanaik, India’s most-celebrated mythologist.
- The author has travelled to thirty-two pilgrim sites across the country to unearth their complex and layered history.
- The book untangles the cultural entity of Bharatvarsh which is anchored in its holy spaces.
- It bears witness to the country’s sheer diversity through its pilgrimage sites and shrines.
- Devdutt Pattanaik’s previous books have sold over 50,000 copies in the Indian subcontinent.
About the author
DEVDUTT PATTANAIK writes, illustrates, and lectures on the relevance of mythology in modern times. He has, since 1996, written over fifty books and 1,000 columns on how stories, symbols, and rituals construct the subjective truth (myths) of ancient and modern cultures around the world. His books include Business Sutra: A Very Indian Approach to Management, The Success Sutra: An Indian Approach to Wealth, The Talent Sutra: An Indian Approach to Learning, and The Leadership Sutra: An Indian Approach to Power. He consults with corporations on leadership and governance, and TV channels on mythological serials. His TV shows include Business Sutra on CNBCTV18 and Devlok on Epic TV. On Radio Mirchi, he has The Devdutt Pattanaik Show. To know more, visit devdutt.com.